Monday, November 17, 2008

FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!




This past weekend, November 15-16, 2008, proved to be a very tense weekend. Saturday morning we noticed smoke in the air so turned on the TV to notice that Corona was on fire at the corner of the 71 freeway and the 91 freeway. What happened next was very unexpected. The Santa Ana winds were blowing so the fire jumped the 91 freeway and started burning by Green Valley Road. It roared through the houses damaging many, up the hills, into Yorba Linda, and embers started fires in Brea. The fire burned houses by Kathleen's old place in Yorba Linda. Carbon Canyon became a hot spot so everyone fromt there was evacuated. Then the fire came over the hill towards Chino Hills. All of Butterfield ranch was evacuated as was Carbon Canyon. The fire eventually went into Tonner Canyon where it spread to Diamond Bar. Right now at this moment, Monday Morning, Nov. 17th, Ayala High school is being used as a red cross shelter. Grant went over Sunday morning where they were housing about 1,000 people. This evening, Monday, the Stake is providing dinner to about 450 people. Larry and Lorrie, my brother and sister-in-law, were packed up Sunday morning waiting for the evcuation order. Joe and Angela evacuated to my sister, Patricia's house. Patricia happened to be at the beach with my mom when all this broke out so she was stuck in Orange County because all the freeways around here were closed the 91, the 71, and the 57. Saturday night was erie to see the glow coming over the hills. We were surrounded by fire! No one slept very well. Now the fire is semi contained and the winds have died down. Many have lost homes but fortunately no one died.

3 comments:

Paco Pablo said...

Hi Grant & Christine Clark,

My name is Javi and I'm doing my first blog. It is in spanish but I'm sure you will get to understand somethings. I have done a degree in English Studies at the university and now I want to improve my english. I read, talk to some american friends, and watch USA TV shows. I try to get in contact with people living there to know more about the country and the its people. I like to read you blog, and what is the best, I understand everything you write on it. How could I create a list of Friends? Could I add yo to it? If you want to know more about me just go to: www.myspace.com/javigilnoe

Nice to talk to you.
J.

Cody and Liesel said...

I'm glad that most of Chino Hills was spared! Especially our house

Kellyanne said...

Im glad you still have a house, I cant believe all the fires going on.. maybe its the Lords way of saying he is not happy about all the stuff that happened to the temples! We are getting excited to come down for Christmas!